Choose Your Education

There are many educational options you can choose from when you intend on studying in Australia; so take some time to think about the career and life goals you want. The course you study will help to shape your career and life plans. Think also, about whether you want to study in the city or in the country.

Do you want to study at a small or large college or university? And what level qualification do you want? eg: certificate, diploma, degree. You will probably find that the course you desire may be scattered throughout Australia and New Zealand, which gives you more of a preference. Living temperature is also an important factor to look into, which varies throughout the country.

Other things to consider are the institution’s academic entrance requirements, as each college or university and each course has its own standards. If you don’t have enough English, you will need to think about English Language too.


Study abroad in Australia

Tuition Fees

The cost of studying in Australia and New Zealand compares well with other countries that take international students in. The combined costs of tuition fees and living expenses are lower in Australia and New Zealand than the US and UK.

Each institution works with varied fees for different courses. You will find that tuition fees in Australia and New Zealand for international students are even more competitive with other countries, especially when calculating the current exchange rates.

The following is a guide only:

  • English Language Courses AUD$150 – AUD$350 per week
  • Vocational Education and Training Courses AUD$5000 – AUD$12000 per year
  • Bachelor Degree (undergraduate) AUD$10000 – AUD$18000 per year
  • Graduate Diploma, Masters, PhD (postgraduate) AUD$12000 – AUD$18000 per year


Study in Australia University

English Language

There is an opportunity to study intensive English language (known as ELICOS) at more than 100 institutions in Australia and at a relatively low cost.

Some institutions are government owned, private or semi-private. All institutions are properly registered and offer high quality English language training, many using advanced language laboratories, video, computer and library facilities. No entry requirements are needed for English Language courses. Courses are offered at all levels (beginner to advanced) and course start times will be flexible.

This makes it easy for you to combine English Language Training with a holiday, or with another course.

You can study:

  • General English (emphasis on communication skills)
  • English for Academic Purposes (preparation to study at university, TAFE or a private college)
  • Examination Preparation (preparation for Cambridge, TOEFL or IELTS examinations)
  • Study Tourism (learn English while learning about Australia / New Zealand or enjoying activities such as scuba, golf, horse riding, sailing etc) and more...

In most cases, students take an English Language Test to determine their level of English, and to decide how much English Language Training they may need.

All tests assess your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a very popular test in Asia, however, most Australian institutions prefer the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test.

  • High School 500-550 TOEFL or 5-6 IELTS
  • Certificate 500-550 TOEFL or 5-6 IELTS
  • Diploma 500-550 TOEFL or 5-6 IELTS
  • Bachelors Degree 550-600 TOEFL or 6.0-7.0 IELTS
  • Postgraduate 550-600 TOEFL or 6.0-7.0 IELTS


University (BA, BSc, Pg Dip, MA)

Universities in Australia range from 3,000 students to more than 30,000 students

All of our Australian universities are strictly monitored to maintain high standards in teaching and research. Most of these universities are located in cities, while some are found in rural environments.

Universities offer courses in a wide range of areas at the following levels:

  • Bachelors Degree
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Masters Degree
  • Doctorate (PhD)

Each university has its own entry requirements for each course offered. You will need to have a minimum level of English before you can start a course.

Most courses start in February, however, some may also start in July and October.



Australian Technical and Further Education (TAFE) is a government owned and operated education system that offers courses in almost every field of study.

Some TAFE courses are only a few weeks long while others may take up to three years to complete. Some TAFE colleges are located in cities, while others are in rural areas. Most courses start in February, however, some may also start in July.
TAFE courses emphasize practical and professional learning that will help you get a job.

There are more than 230 government TAFE colleges around Australia that offer courses at certificate, diploma and advanced diploma levels. Many TAFE courses will lead to credit transfer arrangements at Australian universities so you can earn credit towards a bachelor’s degree.


Study in Australia University

Private and Specialist Colleges

Private and Specialist colleges offer courses in almost every area of study, usually at certificate, diploma and advanced diploma level.

The Courses are often designed to teach practical skills which can be used in the workforce. Courses can range from 10 weeks to 3 years; and each college will have its own entrance requirements.

Many private and specialist colleges have credit transfer arrangements with universities so you can earn credit towards a bachelor degree.
Some examples of the types of courses you can study at a private or TAFE college:

  • Accounting
  • Aviation
  • Business management
  • Child care
  • Computer studies
  • Graphic design
  • Hair and beauty therapy
  • Information Technology (IT)
  • Marketing
  • Office administration
  • Secretarial Studies
  • Travel and tourism
  • Hospitality and hotel management and many more


High Schools

Australian schools offer quality education at world-class standards. Each State or Territory in Australia is responsible for its own school; however the Australian Federal Government ensures the standards and quality of teaching are maintained throughout the country.

The majority of Australian schools are public and approximately one quarter are private and charge full fees. Many private schools are run by religious institutions.

Some schools offer boarding facilities.

There are thousands of schools in Australia, far too many to list. You need to consider your individual needs (large school or small school, is religious education important, which city or town would you like to live in, etc).


Length of Courses

The following is a guide only.

Each course and each college or university may be slightly different:

  • Certificate 6-18 months
  • Diploma 1.5-3 years
  • Bachelors Degree 3-5 years
  • Graduate Certificate 6 months
  • Graduate Diploma 1 year
  • Masters Degree 1-2 years
  • PhD 4-5 years


How to Apply

Once you have read through the information on Live Learn Earn Australia’s website, you must consider:

  • What kind of course you would like to study.
  • What level qualification you would like to study.
  • In which Australian city or town you would like to live and study.
  • Then contact us and send us information about your educational needs and goals.
  • We will then talk about all your options via email, skype or face to face and will advise you of your opportunities in Australia.
  • When you have decided on a particular university, college or school, Live Learn Earn Australia will help you make an application.

We will advise you of the academic and English language requirements as well as other documentation you need to provide with your application.

Generally, you will need to provide details of your previous study, including copies of qualifications you already have. You will also need to have proof of your level of English (eg IELTS or TOEFL) as well as the name of the person responsible for paying your tuition fees.

Once accepted into a course, Live Learn Earn Australia will advise you and send you a Letter of Offer from your school, college or university.

You must read the Letter of Offer and understand any conditions such as upgrading your English language skills.

You will be asked to pay your first semester tuition fees as well as a compulsory medical insurance fee (the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to assist in paying for any medical or hospital treatment (which you may need during your stay in Australia).

Once your fee is received, we will send you a Letter of Confirmation of Enrolment. You need the Letter of Offer, Confirmation of Enrolment and receipt for your first semester’s (or first year’s) tuition fees to apply for your student visa for Australia.


Student Visa

Once we have the Confirmation of Enrolment, Live Learn Earn Australia will take the time and sit down with you to make the application for your Student Visa into Australia.



International students in Australia with a student visa must have arrangements for health insurance. Australia has a special system of health care cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

You must have this for the duration of your student visa in Australia.

NOTE: If you come to Australia on a working holiday visa or tourist visa and study a short course (up to 3 months) you cannot take out OSHC.

Live Learn Earn Australia will arrange the appropriate health insurance depending on your Visa requirements.


Translate »